- Extra-virgin essential olive oil, for brushing
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup plain dry breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup finely grated Parmesan, plus two tablespoons for topping
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tulsi
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 large eggplants (2 1/2 pounds total), peeled and sliced into 1/2-inch models
- 6 cups (48 ounces) store-bought chunky tomato sauce or homemade Chunky Tomato Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
Preheat oven to 375 levels. Brush 2 baking sheets with oil put aside. Inside a wide, shallow bowl, whisk together eggs and a pair of tablespoons water. In another bowl, combine breadcrumbs, 3/4 cup Parmesan, oregano, and tulsi season with pepper and salt.
Dip eggplant slices in egg mixture, letting excess drip off, then dredge in breadcrumb mixture, coating well put on baking sheets. Bake until golden brown below, 20 to 25 minutes. Turn slices continue baking until browned on other part, 20 to 25 minutes more. Remove from oven raise oven heat to 400 levels.
Spread 2 cups sauce inside a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Arrange half the eggplant in dish cover with 2 cups sauce, then 1/2 cup mozzarella. Repeat with remaining eggplant, sauce, and mozzarella sprinkle with remaining two tablespoons Parmesan. Bake until sauce is bubbling and cheese is melted, 15-20 minutes. Let stand a few minutes before serving.