- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 whole garlic bulb, smashed and peeled
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 pounds bone-in chicken thighs or drumsticks
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup water
- Combine the first six ingredients. Add chicken; refrigerate, covered, 20-30 minutes. Drain, reserving marinade. Pat chicken dry.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown chicken. Stir in water and reserved marinade. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until chicken is no longer pink and sauce is slightly reduced, 20-25 minutes. If desired, serve chicken with cooking sauce.