- 1 pound dried great northern beans
- 3 smoked ham hocks (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken or beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- Thinly sliced green onions, optional
- Rinse and sort beans; soak according to package directions.
- Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid. Transfer beans to a 6-qt. slow cooker. Add ham hocks. Stir in onion, broth, water and seasonings. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until beans are tender.
- Remove meat from bones when cool enough to handle; cut ham into small pieces and return to slow cooker. Serve with a slotted spoon. Sprinkle with onions if desired.